At present, most advertising production uses acrylic and PVC materials, which are recommended every time you go to advertising companies.
In fact, these two are the most commonly used primary materials. They are mainly used for mounting pictures on the surface and engraving for modeling.
Engraving mainly involves PVC and foam boards. PVC specifically makes characters and models, and foam board mostly makes some indoor signs, custom shapes, display panels, etc.
So what is the difference between foam board and PVC foam board?
1. Different materials:
PVC is a plastic material, and the foam board is a foam material.
PVC foam board: the main component is polyvinyl chloride. Foam board: mainly composed of polystyrene.
The foam board material is a foam board, the inner foam is foaming, and the outer layer of the sheet is very light, and the price is low.
Because the core is too soft (the foam is flat), it is not suitable to make complex models and shapes, so it is not suitable for complex sculptures.
Of course, you can do it carefully with a manual knife, but the effect is obvious. The result is not as good as that of PVC foam board.
The Foam board is not sunscreen and waterproof. In case of exposure to the sun and rain, the surface will blister and deform, which will affect the image surface quality.
Foam board is easy to cut and install, but the surface is relatively fragile, and it is easy to leave traces when it is accidentally touched.
PVC is foamed with plastic inside and PVC veneer outside. Due to its high density, the weight is 3-4 times heavier than foam board. Of course, the price is also 3-4 times higher,
The hardness is relatively high. A good PVC foam board can’t be pinched with your fingers. It’s terrific to use this to make complex models and fine carving.
Secondly, PVC is sunscreen and waterproof and will not deform in case of exposure and rain.
PVC also has the characteristics of fire and heat resistance. It is mainly used to replace wood as a fireproof material.
The surface of the PVC foam sheet is very smooth, has high hardness, and not easy to scratch.
2. Different use-values:
PVC foam board is more widely used and has better material characteristics. PVC foam board is relatively rigid and much heavier than foam board. Due to the high density of PVC, the weight is 3-4 times heavier than foam board. Of course, the price is also 3-4 times higher. Some PVC prices are even more than + 5-10 times higher than foam board.
3. Different application ranges:
Foam board is mainly used for indoor short-term advertising displays. It works as a backboard for stickers, PP paper with mounted and printed pictures.
The main reason is that the material of the foam board is light and easy to install.
PVC is generally used for outdoor medium and long-term advertising display.
Foam board is mainly used in the indoor sign industry, DIY production (especially aircraft model production), and cosplay props.
PVC is mainly used for outdoor billboards, site signs, etc. It can also be used indoors, such as signs and placards in harsh environments such as workshops and plants.
Other uses: PVC is more used for laser engraving characters and various cultural walls and background walls, mainly for long-term use.
Foam board is used for various special-shaped labels, hands-up cards, and supermarket personality cards, primarily for short-term display.
How to select:
The scratch resistance and durability of PVC foam boards are better than that of foam boards. However, the cost of PVC foam board is much higher than that of foam board. Therefore, which one to choose depends on the cost control, use scenario, and time limit.
- PVC is a plastic material, and foam board is a foam material.
- PVC material is rigid and suitable for machine engraving. Foam board material is brittle and can not stand machine engraving, but it is ideal for manual engraving.
- Both PVC board and foam board can be used to mount the picture. PVC board is used outdoors, foam board is used indoors, PVC board can be used for a long time, and foam board is used for a short time.
- PVC board has high hardness and is not easy to cut by hand. Foam board has low hardness and can be cut by hand.
- PVC has strong scratch resistance, and the foam board is fragile, which is easy to produce scratches.
- PVC has strong durability and is suitable for long-term use. Foam board has weak durability and is ideal for medium and short-term use. (within 1-2 years).
- PVC board is suitable for outdoor use, and Foam board is ideal for indoor use.
- PVC is heavy and needs to be reinforced. Foam is light and easy to install.
- The price of PVC is 3-4 times the price of PVC board (also 3-4 times the weight). Better PVC is more than 5-10 times.
- PVC also has the characteristics of fire and heat resistance. It can replace wood and be used as a fireproof material.
- PVC is more used for CNC engraving characters and various cultural walls and background walls, which are mostly used for a long time.
- Foam board is used for various special-shaped labels, hands-up cards, and supermarket personality cards, primarily for short-term display. Foam board is not weatherproof and waterproof. In case of exposure to the sun and rain, the surface will blister and deform, which will affect the image surface quality. PVC board is weather-resistant and waterproof and will not twist in case of exposure and rain.